A Great Start To Get Into Your First Home
The First Home Owner is a Government initiative to help first home owners to get their new first home sooner. You’ll get $15,000 towards buying or building your new house, unit or townhouse (valued at less than $750,000). You can even buy off the plan or choose to build yourself. It’s a great opportunity to buy or build a new home in our great state.
How A $15,000 First Home Owner Can Help You
- If you're thinking of buying or building a new home, this could be what gets you started
- It could get you something more than you were expecting
- It can get you into your first home sooner
Note: The First Home Owner is administered under the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000.
Anyone who will own any part of your new home must be included on the application. Only one grant is payable per new home and you only need one application for your new home, regardless of the number of applicants.
Your application must be:
- signed by all applicants
- completed in full
- accompanied by supporting documentation
In order to determine whether or not you are eligible for the grant, we may ask you for additional information. There are penalties for giving false or misleading information.
Once your application is submitted, we will process most applications within 10 working days of receiving all the required information. If you apply through an approved bank or lending institution, you may get the grant sooner. See the Office of State Revenue website for a list of approved banks and lending institutions.
Conditions And Penalties
In some cases, we may pay the grant before you move into your new first home. However, as a condition of the grant, you must tell us and repay the grant if you do not:
- complete the transaction of buying or building your new home
- move into the new home within 1 year of becoming the registered owner
- live in the new home for a continuous period of 6 months.
There are penalties if you don’t tell the Office of State Revenue within 14 days of finding out that you are unable to meet these conditions.